The Chamber SWLA membership will be kept up to date on all matters impacting our region at local, state and federal levels.
The Chamber SWLA is a non-partisan organization that supports legislation based upon the following criteria:
* Benefits the overall needs of the economy in SWLA
* Benefits the business community at large
* Upholds responsible government & pro-business legislation
Currently, our staff is currently working on public policy issues pertaining to replacing the Calcasieu River I-10 bridge.
With the start of the Louisiana Legislature’s 2021 Session, the Chamber SWLA is advocating for a number of pieces of legislation and policy that will benefit the business climate which improves the five parish community.
The agency’s Governmental Affairs Committee approved a legislative agenda prior to the session’s start. “Our community experienced historic economic development prior to the pandemic and hurricanes. We are committed to making sure government policy benefits our recovery. A strong community and businesses community starts with the policies that make sure all of us grow together,” said Alliance/Chamber SWLA President/CEO George Swift.
2021 Chamber SWLA Legislative Agenda
1) Request immediate U.S. Congress Appropriation for Hurricane Disaster Recovery
2) Advocate for State and Federal Funding to close I-10 Bridge funding gap
3) Support Infrastructure needs
a) Broadband in the 5-parishes of SWLA
b) State portion of P3 for Calcasieu Ship Channel dredging
c) Increased revenue for Infrastructure with DOTD reform and a portion of new funds dedicated to each region
4) Legislative and Congressional Redistricting – Keep Acadiana and SWLA Together!
5) Support Coastal Restoration and Oppose Cuts to Coastal Protection and Restoration Fund
6) Retain Industrial Tax Exemption (ITEP) and continue incentives such as Fast Start and Quality Jobs to keep Louisiana competitive.
7) Support Workforce Development initiatives including early childhood education and higher education
8) Tax Reform – with revenue neutral
9) Support Centralized Sales Tax Collection
10) Continue Tier One and additional funding for the eight Regional Economic Development Organizations, including SWLA Alliance
If you are interested in staying on top of all of our public policy issues and receive our calls-to-action to spur change in Baton Rouge and Washington, D.C., please sign up for our Grassroots Newsletter!