The Board of the Directors of the Chamber SWLA are urging approval of all of the amendments to the Louisiana Constitution.
Amendment 1 (listed as CA NO.1)
Official Language on Ballot: Authorizes streamlined electronic filing, remittance, and collection of sales and use tax
What it means: Streamlining Sales Tax
The details: This will allow for a single authority to oversee the collection, filing, and guidance for state and local sales taxes. Currently, business who do business with residents in multiple parishes have to file with each parish. This amendment will untangle this outdated tax system which is paperwork nightmare for Louisiana businesses.
Amendment 2 (listed as CA NO.2)
Official Language on Ballot: Lowers maximum allowed rate of income tax and allows providing a deduction for federal income taxes
What it means: Instead of different tax rates throughout the state, this amendment will unify the taxes to one rate – which is the lowest in the state.
The details: This amendment aims change the individual income tax, corporate income tax, and corporate franchise tax – making these tax obligations uniform regardless of where your business is located throughout the state.
Amendment 3 (listed as CA NO.3)
Official Language on Ballot: Allows certain levee districts to levy an annual tax for certain purposes
What it means: Levee Districts (created from 1/1/2006 to 10/9/2021) can levy property tax millages up to 5-mil without voter approval. This will guarantee that levee boards across the state will have equal opportunities for funding to combat floods.
Amendment 4 (listed as CA NO.4)
Official Language on Ballot: Increases amount of allowed reduction to certain dedicated funds when a budget deficit is projected
What is means: This amendment will allow the transfer of dedicated funds to fix a state budget deficit.
- The Louisiana budget must balance each and every year.
- There are several untouchable funds that legislators can’t cut to balance the budget.
- Education and Healthcare are not “dedicated” making them the easier targets when budget cuts are needed.
The Chamber SWLA Board of Directors is also in support of
- A tax renewal which funds the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Department (listed as Parishwide Law Enforcement District – ¼% S&U Tax Renewal – Sheriff – 10 Yrs.).
- A tax renewal funding for the Town of Iowa (listed as Town of Iowa – ½% S&U Tax Renewal – M&TC – Perp.)